Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Who says women aren't funny?


Vanity Fair certainly doesn't say it and damn it, neither do I. Tiny Fey is a babe, and I don't say this just because she is extremely attractive, but she is also equally hilarious; it is both of these things together that make her fly off the charts on my babe-o-licious meter, along with Kristen Wiig, Maya Rudolph, Amy Sedaris, Amy Poehler, etc, not to mention all the beautifully funny women I am lucky enough to actually know/have met.

A few months ago a boy I knew told me that he thought I was funny while we were waiting for the subway. I didn't say anything back to him, maybe an insincere thanks (I don't do well with compliments). He then added something along the lines of, "...and most girls aren't funny." (Trying to build up the compliment by putting the rest of my gender down.)

Anyone who thinks girls aren't funny must conglomerate around women who don't know left from right (I can imagine them making those little L's with their thumbs and index fingers) because anyone who has got a fraction of intelligence is capable of pulling something funny out of their ass. Granted, it may not be on par with the sheer genius of a Tina joke or a Jerri Blank witticism, but it should at least spawn a smile.

In my experience, most people I know are funny, boy or girl. I simply spend time with people who make me laugh, which I assume isn't a criteria for friends that is unique to me.

So for any guys out there who have the unfortunate opinion that most women are not funny, it's really simple to fix - all you need do is raise your standards.

No comments: