Monday, November 23, 2009

Anne was not the girl for us

This morning I awoke with foggy vision, as usual, and went to grab for my eyeglasses, also as usual. But the glasses were not on my nightstand where they ought to be. So I spent almost a half hour ransacking my bedroom with blurred sight to find them pushed into the corner of my room, underneath my bed. The cat is to blame. Needless to say, she won't be getting fed for the rest of the week. Happy Thanksgiving, Mexico!

I had another interview last week. After which, I was given an editorial assignment: a 400 page manuscript to read and write a reader's report on. I did this magnificently -- I even missed a good friend's going away gathering to spend an entire evening crafting the report. It was top-notch. And the editor thought so too, calling it "excellent". She said she'd be back in touch with me soon (this was on Thursday). I'm hoping to hear something today or tomorrow.

But in the past, other people who interviewed me have used similar terms that induce a sense of hope, but I later realized that it was a false sense of hope, as they didn't hire me. I've been told that my ideas were "fantastic" only to get a call a few days later saying, "we've decided to go with another candidate." What, I wonder, did they call the other candidate's ideas? Remarkable? Absolutely amazing? Scrumtralescent?

No comments: